It is estimated that about 20 million Americans suffer from neuropathy or nerve pain. This type of damage becomes increasingly common as we age.
As with any ache or pain, it is always helpful if you can “pull out the thorn”. You may find knowledgeable assistance from a Naturopathic Physician. A Naturopathic Physician works with their patient to build health rather than merely treat the symptoms by investigating the underlying cause. Finding the source takes some time, but it is worth it.
Want to find a Naturopath in your area? READ MORE
If nerves are damaged or irritated, they may be
- quiet and send no information, numbness OR
- they may send excessive pain messages
There are three types of nerves in the body:
- AUTONOMIC – mainly involuntary activities of your body (heart rate, blood pressure, digestion, and body temperature)
- MOTOR – associated with movement, pass information from your brain and spinal cord to your muscles
- SENSORY – relay information (touch, pain etc) from your skin and muscles back to your brain.
Here are some things that have been connected to nerve damage
Some simple things to try that may help with underlying issues
- ACUPUNCTURE – may relieve pain by releasing endorphins and promote regeneration in some cases
- HERBS and ESSENTIAL OILS – SEE NEXT TAB
- BIOFEEDBACK and MEDITATION – both have a calming effect on the Central Nervous System, which can be helpful in managing pain
- REDUCE SUGAR INTAKE – high levels of glucose in the blood (blood sugar) can injure the nerves
- GET TESTED FOR VITAMIN B12 OR B6 DEFICIENCY – as we age, we do not absorb nutrients as well. The B Vitamins have an impact on nerve health
NERVE SUPPORT GEL is in an organic aloe Vera base. It is cooling, analgesic and anti-inflammatory. The cooling action is nice for the ‘burning’ sensation. 1.0oz (30ml) in a white plastic flip cap bottle
NERVE SUPPORT OIL is a little more spendy as it also has an infused herb that is very helpful for nerve pain. It contains all the same essential oils as the gel plus the infused herb. 1 oz amber glass bottle with dropper
NERVE SUPPORT GEL – aloe vera* camphor* chamomile*, peppermint*, st. john’s wort*, lavender* – *organic
NERVE SUPPORT OIL – arnica*, comfrey* & st johns wort* infused olive & castor oil* camphor*, lemon*, chamomile*, peppermint*, st. john’s wort*, lavender* – * organic
APPLY at the first sign of discomfort. The GEL tends to have quicker relief and the OIL tends to give longer relief. If is helpful to cover application with a stocking or other item of clothing.
RE-apply again if it is working but some discomfort still remains.
Re-apply as needed.
As with any product, discontinue if irritation occurs.
*For educational purposes only. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.