h e a r t s c e n t
MAKE YOUR OWN WIPES
simple + safe
Making homemade baby wipes takes just a few minutes of work and can save money. You can make them with cloth, so they are reusable, or with paper towels if you need disposables. Plus the solution can be used as a diaper spray!
Here’s the recipe:
Take 1 roll of premium unbleached paper towels (cheap, thin paper towels will rip easily) and cut in half (width wise) using a sharp knife. I recommend making your cloth wipes 1/2 a roll at a time, but if you have more than one child or feel like half a roll doesn’t last as long as you would like, use both halves.
|(1) 1/2 paper towel roll||(2) 1/2 paper towel rolls|
|1 cup Water||2 cups Water|
|1 Tablespoon unscented castile soap
||2 Tablespoons unscented castile soap|
|1/2-1 Tablespoon BABY Oil or Olive oil
||1-2 Tablespoon BABY Oil or Olive oil
I like Dr. Bronner’s or any unscented castile soap. You can purchase from Dr. Bronner’s web site or it is also available at many health food store.
To make the wipes:
- Mix all the liquid ingredients together.
- Put paper towels in a large mixing bowl, and pour the mixed liquid over the top of the paper towels.
- Let the mixture soak through for approximately 10 minutes.
- Turn paper towels upside down and allow to sit for another 10 minutes.
- Pull out the center cardboard core and the wipes will pop up through the middle of the roll.
- Store your homemade wipes in a gallon-size plastic bag, plastic storage container with a lid, or re-use an old disposable wipes container.
For extra Savings and to promote a greener Earth, try using cloth diaper wipes. Just soak the cloth wipes in the above mixture, roll up the wipe, and place in a container, gallon-size plastic bag, or a wipe warmer made especially for homemade baby wipes.
Another option is to place the above mixture into a spray bottle and spray directly on your baby’s tushie. Gently pat dry with a moisten wash cloth or cloth wipe.
Which ever you decide to use, you need to remember that the solution does not contain any preservatives so you will need to keep it clean while using it and replace as needed.